wellness+ Launches Chainwide
Rite Aid has launched one of its biggest business building initiatives ever with the April 18 chainwide debut of wellness+, the company’s new customer loyalty card program.
wellness+ is designed to build customer loyalty by pairing financial rewards, such as the opportunity to earn up to 20 percent off non-prescription purchases every day for one year, with wellness benefits such as around-the-clock access to a pharmacist by calling 1-800-RITEAID.
“The chainwide launch of wellness+ is an exciting chapter in our company’s history,” says Chairman and CEO Mary Sammons. “We have a great new program that will not only attract new customers and patients to Rite Aid, but will also reward existing customers and patients, encouraging more of them to become loyal shoppers.”
“With wellness+, we feel like we have something to shout about, so we are supporting the program with our first national television advertising campaign in nearly 10 years,” adds President and COO John Standley. “Successfully executing this program is a key step to building loyalty with new and existing customers, which will help to grow our business in the months and years ahead.”
Beginning in October, the company tested wellness+ in four pilot markets – San Diego, CA.; Buffalo, NY;Greensboro, NC and Harrisburg, PA. Company executives say results have been outstanding.
“More than 1.2 million customers have signed up for wellness+ in the pilot markets,” says John Learish, senior vice president of marketing. “By replicating these results across the entire chain, we have the potential to enroll more than 20 million members in the first six months.”
Customers who sign up for wellness+ receive immediate benefits:
- 10 percent off Rite Aid Brand products every day
- 24/7 access to a Rite Aid pharmacist by calling 1-800-RITEAID
- Exclusive members-only sale pricing on front-end items throughout the store
Customers receive additional benefits by using their wellness+ card to earn points when they shop at Rite Aid:
- Members earn 25 points for each prescription filled, except for any prescription funded by government programs such as Medicare or Medicaid. Prescriptions filled in New York and New Jersey are also ineligible to earn points because benefits for prescription purchases in those states are prohibited by law.
- Members earn one point for each dollar spent on front-end merchandise, with only a few exceptions such as tobacco and alcohol.
Customers receive the following rewards when they reach the appropriate point totals:
- A one-time 10 percent off shopping pass for each 125 points earned up to 375 points
- 10 percent off non-prescription purchases every day when a member earns 500 points
- Also when members reach 500 points, they receive a certificate for a free blood-glucose or total cholesterol screening at a third-party provider. Members can pick up results from their Rite Aid pharmacist 48 hours after the screening
- 20 percent off non-prescription purchases every day when members earn 1,000 points